By: Katelyn Fournier
1) Don’t take yourself too seriously
Holly Golightly was very good at putting on a good face, but she also knew not to care too much about sophistication that she let go of her sense of frivolity. Life is a game, so have a little fun with it.
2) Find happiness in the little things
Like croissants, and coffee, and walking past Tiffany’s on 5th Ave. at sunrise in a cocktail dress.
3) You don’t have to have everything in your life together
Telephone? Check. Champagne glass for milk? Check. Bathtub for furniture? Check. Cat without a name? Check. What more do you need?
4) Your pet can be your best friend
Cats are just pretty great, okay?
5) We all feel lonely sometimes—even the most social people feel this way sometimes
The Mean Reds suck, but it’s a pretty universal feeling for most people.
6) Respect yourself and the people you love
Holly and “Fred” say some pretty nasty things to each other in the movie, but they always make it up to each other in the end. An apology note doesn’t hurt, either.
9) A gift doesn’t have to be expensive to be meaningful
You’d be surprised by what you can get for under $10.
10) The grass always looks greener on the other side…
…But sometimes the greatest adventures can be found at home
11) Money is temporary, friendship lasts longer
Unless you can get both, in which case good for you.
12) To find true love, you have to allow yourself to be vulnerable
Despite what Holly wants to believe, there is no place where nothing bad can happen—but it is possible to get close to that if you can allow yourself to let other people in.
13) When you’re caught in a corner, escape through the window
Literally, if you have to. I’m sure your neighbor is very nice and will understand!
14) Your friends are your greatest allies
Keeping your enemies closer isn’t always the best course of action—your friends always have your best interests in mind, and will never stab you in the back when you’re vulnerable.
15) Learning new things is fun—don’t be afraid to be a beginner
Holly has never been a millionaire, but she just knows she’d be darling at it. Also, libraries are pretty cool too.
16) Shit happens, but life goes on
We all have to deal with tragedy at some point, and it’s really, really hard, but the best thing we can do is continue to live for our lost loved ones.
17) There is no such thing as “overdressed” (even if you are visiting a prison)
Don’t you wish you could look this good in just five minutes?